Thanks to Lucy of Travelling the World, One Bite at a Time for nominating me for the Liebster Award. For those of you who do not know, it’s an award sent by bloggers to bloggers to create a sort of a community by connecting and discovering new blogs.
Of course, this comes with a set of rules for the receiver:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you
- Answer the eleven questions they ask you
- Nominate eleven bloggers with less than 500 followers
- Ask those bloggers eleven new questions
- Let those bloggers know they have been nominated, so they can continue the chain!
Here are the questions Lucy asked me.
1. What made you decide to start blogging?
I had done exceptionally well in a writing course during the previous semester at my university. I tend to suffer from insomnia during the spring and a friend advised me to channel the extra energy into writing a “blog”. I figured that if I were ever to begin a career in media or writing, a blog could serve as a good practice.
2. Which travel destination would you recommend most?
It depends greatly on where you want to go. For someone who would enjoy something more similar to a city trip, I would recommend my hometown Helsinki in summer. If you’re blessed with good weather you can go discovering the nearby islands without suffering hours of travel. The city offers many outdoor events such as the Restaurant Day, the Flow Festival (which can be a little costly) and the flea market at Hietalahti, which all display very well the city’s urban lifestyle.
3. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I’ve already been around quite a lot already having lived in Finland, NZ and currently in Germany. Usually during winter breaks, I travel to my family in Spain. As can be deduced from this information, I’m a bit of a wanderer and have a need to be able to move around effortlessly. Although I don’t see myself settling down in the next couple of years, I know that my dream home would be located near water, at a convenient distance from the city, if not in the city. For practical reasons, I would like to remain in Europe, the diversity of which makes it the perfect playground.
4. What’s your favourite cuisine?
I guess fusion. There has to be liberty in everything. This may have to do with the fact that Finnish cuisine can barely be defined, for very few dishes can truly be considered part of it. Thus I grew in a food culture that was mostly imported, and which had to be adjusted to the Finnish taste. I enjoy experimenting with food, making use of the few ingredients I have and come up with unique solutions such as yoghurt curry pasta. By the by, that was delicious.
5. Which food is your guilty pleasure?
I could live on Uncle Ben’s Oriental Chili /Szechuan Chili. I could eat that with chicken and rice everyday all day. Luckily I don’t always manage to find it in supermarkets.
6. Where would you most like to travel that you haven’t visited yet?
Iceland. It sounds the kind of weird and beautiful place that I might like to visit. As it is also part of the Northern Countries, I imagine I would click with the locals. It’s such a curious place with its remoteness that I believe I might feel quite at home there.
7. What is one tip that you would give aspiring/new bloggers?
If you want to write, you must be able to read. There exist few subjects that haven’t already been discussed by other bloggers or authors in the internet and the chances are you will be able to find plenty of articles similar to the one you are about to grasp. Do the research and build on this data at hand and the quality of your posts will fly through the roofs.
8. Best piece of advice you have ever received?
Never argue with idiots; they will drag you to their level and beat you with their expertise. It might be worth mentioning, however, that in blogging world it is ok to break this rule. After all, there are other readers, who might still be worth of convincing.
9. Your favourite thing to do on holidays/travels?
It is a waste of a holiday if you won’t go discover. I always reserve a couple of days free of activities so that I can freely roam the streets or hills. If you always just follow the travel guides you never find anything new or refreshing.
10. What’s your dream job?
I’m a rather lazy person and have a very vague idea of what exactly I want to do. As a matter of fact, I’m not sure if I really care what I do, as long as I can perform the job with some ability and gain some money out of it without compromising too much of my free time. Germany is a very work-centric country and I’m getting rather annoyed at the idea of your work position being a status symbol. Of course I pursue a job I know I would enjoy, but work is just one aspect of life. It might sometimes be simpler to just settle for less without having the need to sacrifice your happiness.
11. What’s the most exciting animal you’ve seen abroad?
In wild? I always liked sea lions and seals of any kind. I thought it was admirable how they could just lay on the beach, minding their own business. They look at you with their long lashed puppy eyes, almost as if thinking “look at my beach bod”. They’re definitely my soul animals.
My 11 nominations are:
I have nominated these blogs for two reasons; first of them being that I personally read their texts and enjoy them and secondly that they have posted at least 3 posts. I also have reason to believe (and they may correct me if I’m wrong) that they haven’t yet been nominated for Liebster. If the nominated bloggers for some reason do not wish to accept the award, I will completely respect their decisions. Ultimately, I hope you will take it as a compliment.
Once again, thanks so much for my nomination & here are my 11 questions:
1. What’s your favourite Pokemon?
2. What are the top three things on your bucket list?
3. Time to confess, do you still sleep with a soft toy?
4. Who is your favourite supervillain?
5. Where do you see yourself in 60 years from now?
6. Who is your favourite author and why?
7. Which celebrity do you lust for?
8. Which movement of architecture is your favourite?
9. What is your blogging sin?
10. Were you traumatized by an animated character as a child?
11. What is the meaning of life?